Starting out as a web developer, what you need to know
There are countless websites which we come across every day and utilize them to carry out one task or the other. we read, make an order, browse the internet, and enjoy web experience because of great web developers.
Here’s the simple answer to this question: They build and maintain websites. In fact, they literally create how you experience the web. They specialize in the design, building, and implementing Internet websites.
Basically, web development is broken down into 3phases:
#1. Frontend development: The “frontend” refers to “stuff” on a website that you see and interact with, e.g. menus, dropdowns, etc.
#2. Backend development: The “backend” is like the portion of the iceberg below the surface. Without it, the website can’t function. The backend deals with servers, applications, databases, etc.
#3. Full-stack development: This is the combination of both backend and frontend development.
Some of the requirements expected of a web developer:
- Write web pages with a combination of markup languages.
- Create quality mockups and prototypes.
- Build a WordPress site from scratch.
- Understand HTML and CMS.
- Understand UI and UX.
- Develop functional and appealing websites and web-based applications.
- Provide website maintenance and enhancements.
- These are the most common requirements, but your responsibilities and tasks will vary depending on the web development gig as well as your web development specialty.
web development as a career is a very lucrative opportunity because of the pay and freedom which you can exercise on the job. Here are some of the advantages of being a web developer:
- You can work remotely: Being a web developer, you can work anywhere and anytime as you wish, as long as you deliver the result expected of you from your clients
- Personal projects: As a developer, you have the skills to build your own websites and web applications. which you can use to generate income streams
- You can work independently. You no longer have to work under the umbrella of a boss if you don’t want to. You can freelance or start your own business much more easily when you know about web development.
- Get into the profitable tech industry. Web development is basically your ticket to the tech industry. Most tech startups have some need for web developers, so this can be your way to get your foot in the door.
- You can build awesome stuff! The fun part is that you can be as creative as you want. Instead of looking at websites and thinking, “Wow, that looks awesome. I wish I could create something like that,” you will now be able to create your very own awesome-looking website